You’ll work alongside a clinically qualified practitioner responding to 999 calls attending every kind of accident and emergency, sometimes covering considerable distances, under normal and emergency driving conditions to get to the scene as quickly and as safely as possible.
No two shifts will be the same. You might be called out to a road accident victim with multiple severe injuries or to someone who has had a heart attack in a busy shopping centre. You could be transferring a very sick baby to a specialist centre, or dealing with an elderly person who’s fallen down the stairs.
Under the direct supervision of the clinically qualified practitioner,
you’ll carry out essential emergency care, such as controlling severe bleeding, treating wounds and fractures and looking after patients with possible spinal injuries. You will use electric shock therapy to
resuscitate patients with heart failure and will be trained to give a range of different drugs.
Based at a local ambulance station as part of a team, you will work shifts, going out in all weathers at all hours, sometimes working in difficult conditions, such as in confined spaces or on a motorway.
As well as your contact with patients, you will also have to deal with relatives and members of the public. In larger or more serious incidents, you will work alongside the police and fire brigade.
These are some of the essential criteria you will need to be successful as an Emergency Care Assistant; more detailed criteria are available in the Person Specification for the role:
- A valid UK full B category driving licence and full C1 category licence with no more than 3 penalty points. Applications will be accepted with a provisional C1 licence but a full C1 category licence must be obtained one month prior to commencement of training
- Maths, English and one other GCSE at grade C or above or equivalent
- Customer / patient-facing experience
- Demonstrable working knowledge of dealing with patients
- Knowledge of the Highway Code (tested at assessment)
- Good communication skills.